Portland is home to more than 40,000 Jewish residents, and Jewish history in Oregon goes back to 1849. Many Jewish residents helped shape Portland’s future, such as Bernard Goldsmith, the mayor of Portland from 1869-1871, who built the Willamette Falls Locks in Oregon City; Aaron and Jeanette Meier and Emil Frank, of the very successful Meier and Frank department stores; “Soda Pop King” Louis Albert; and Sam Schnitzer of Schnitzer Steel, to name just a few.
- Oregon Jewish Museum and Center for Holocaust Education
- Mittleman Jewish Community Center
- Oregon Holocaust Memorial
Events & Festivals
- Jewish Film Festival – held in June at the Northwest Film Center
- Jewish Federation of Greater Portland community calendar
- Jewish Book Month – every November
- ORA – Northwest Jewish Artist
- Portland Israeli Folk Dancing
- Oregon Jewish Life monthly lifestyle magazine
- Oregon Kosher
- Jewish Federation of Greater Portland – local congregations
There’s something special about the first spring hike of the year. Enjoy wildflowers, bird watching and breathtaking scenery on these springtime rambles.