Recreational marijuana use and possession by people 21 and older was legalized in the state of Oregon in July 2016. However, while Measure 91 made having and consuming marijuana legal in Oregon, the growth, sales and consumption of the product remain federal offenses.
What Visitors Should Know
Here’s an overview of the current visitor dos and don’ts related to marijuana in Oregon.
Recreational cannabis use is legal in Oregon, but public consumption isn't. That's where these workshops, pop-up dinners and networking events come in.
These cannabis tours will help orient you, take you to top spots, and provide a safe way to consume.
If you’ve ever wanted to explore the therapeutic benefits of marijuana without the high, you might want to try CBD. Here's where to find CBD in Portland.
- Smoke marijuana or consume marijuana edibles in a public place or in public view. (This includes the Oregon Convention Center, restaurants, bars, parks, sidewalks, etc.). Use in public is a class B felony and can result in a fine of up to $1,000.
- Smoke marijuana in most hotel rooms. (Check with individual hotels for their policies.)
- Drive or bike under the influence of marijuana.
- Transport marijuana across state lines or on waterways.
- Possess, own or smoke marijuana — nor own or operate a marijuana business — in select cities and counties in Oregon. Please refer to the local city or county for the local ordinances.
- Buy marijuana. Limited amounts of recreational marijuana are available for purchase at state-licensed recreational marijuana retailers.
- Consume marijuana on private property and away from public view.
- Possess up to an ounce of marijuana on their person.
- Share, give away and receive marijuana (as long as all parties are over 21) within the state of Oregon.
Check these links for the most current and complete information about marijuana in Oregon:
- What’s Legal Oregon
- Recreational marijuana on Oregon.gov
- City of Portland: Recreational Marijuana FAQ
- City of Portland: Marijuana Policy Program
- Portland International Airport: Traveling with marijuana
Still confused about CBD? Come to Lumi Wellness this Sunday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. for the 2019 Winter CBD Fair and learn everything you need to know before trying CBD for the first time. Plus enjoy free samples from 10 weekly vendors, exclusive discounts and one-of-a-kind weekly activities like complimentary CBD-infused chair massages.