Recreational cannabis use and possession by people 21 and older was legalized in the state of Oregon in July 2015. However, while Measure 91 made having and consuming cannabis legal in Oregon, the growth, sales and consumption of the product remain federal offenses. Read on for our guide to cannabis in Portland, then check out our events calendar for upcoming cannabis-centric events.
Know Before You Go
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, Oregon’s governor has limited large events based on the current risk level.
Some events may be cancelled, postponed or held virtually. Please check the event website for the most up-to-date information.
Weed in Portland: What Visitors Should Know
Here’s an overview of the current visitor dos and don’ts related to cannabis in Oregon.
- Smoke cannabis or consume cannabis edibles in a public place or in public view. (This includes the Oregon Convention Center, restaurants, bars, parks, sidewalks, etc.). Use in public is a class B felony and can result in a fine of up to $1,000.
- Smoke cannabis in most hotel rooms. (Check with individual hotels for their policies.)
- Drive or bike under the influence of cannabis.
- Transport cannabis across state lines or on waterways.
- Possess, own or smoke cannabis — nor own or operate a cannabis business — in select cities and counties in Oregon. Please refer to the local city or county for the local ordinances.
- Buy cannabis. Limited amounts of recreational cannabis are available for purchase at state-licensed recreational marijuana retailers.
- Consume cannabis on private property and away from public view.
- Possess up to an ounce of cannabis on their person.
- Share, give away and receive cannabis (as long as all parties are over 21) within the state of Oregon.
Check these links for the most current and complete information about cannabis laws in the city of Portland and the state of Oregon:
- What’s legal in Oregon
- Recreational marijuana on Oregon.gov
- City of Portland: Recreational Marijuana FAQ
- City of Portland: Cannabis Program
- Portland International Airport: Traveling with marijuana
The Potlandia Experience is a cannabis-focused tour of Portland in a tricked-out, consumption-friendly bus. Stops include dispensaries, food carts and some of the city’s top attractions.
Tours run Friday, Saturday and Sunday afternoons, the price is $75 per person. You can also book a private rental for $150 per hour (4-hour minimum, includes driver).
If you’ve ever wanted to explore the therapeutic benefits of marijuana without the high, you might want to try CBD. Here's where to find CBD in Portland.
From cheese crisps to cold brew, these Portland women take cannabis edibles to the next level.
Recreational cannabis use is legal in Oregon, but public consumption isn't. That's where these workshops, pop-up dinners and networking events come in.
This THC-induced extravaganza is packed with jokes that will have you laughing like you’re on edibles and tricks so trippy that you’ll be asking “what the f—?!” Caricatures will come to life, phones will vanish and reappear in impossible places, minds will be read, and both the stoned and sober will love the high that…
The Dopest Show on the West Coast! After a year of quarantine, it’s time to get off the couch. This THC-induced magical extravaganza is packed with tricks so trippy that you’ll be asking, “what the f—?!” Caricatures will come to life, phones will vanish and reappear in impossible places, minds will be read, and both…
Was this page helpful?