Recreational cannabis use and possession by people 21 and older was legalized in the state of Oregon in July 2015. However, while Measure 91 made having and consuming cannabis legal in Oregon, the growth, sales and consumption of the product remain federal offenses. Read on for our guide to cannabis in Portland, then check out our events calendar for upcoming cannabis-centric events.
What Visitors Should Know
Here’s an overview of the current visitor dos and don’ts related to cannabis in Oregon.
- Smoke cannabis or consume cannabis edibles in a public place or in public view. (This includes the Oregon Convention Center, restaurants, bars, parks, sidewalks, etc.). Use in public is a class B felony and can result in a fine of up to $1,000.
- Smoke cannabis in most hotel rooms. (Check with individual hotels for their policies.)
- Drive or bike under the influence of cannabis.
- Transport cannabis across state lines or on waterways.
- Possess, own or smoke cannabis — nor own or operate a cannabis business — in select cities and counties in Oregon. Please refer to the local city or county for the local ordinances.
- Buy cannabis. Limited amounts of recreational cannabis are available for purchase at state-licensed recreational marijuana retailers.
- Consume cannabis on private property and away from public view.
- Possess up to an ounce of cannabis on their person.
- Share, give away and receive cannabis (as long as all parties are over 21) within the state of Oregon.
Check these links for the most current and complete information about cannabis in Oregon:
- What’s Legal Oregon
- Recreational marijuana on Oregon.gov
- City of Portland: Recreational Marijuana FAQ
- City of Portland: Cannabis Program
- Portland International Airport: Traveling with marijuana
If you’ve ever wanted to explore the therapeutic benefits of marijuana without the high, you might want to try CBD. Here's where to find CBD in Portland.
From cheese crips to cold brew, these Portland women take cannabis edibles to the next level.
Recreational cannabis use is legal in Oregon, but public consumption isn't. That's where these workshops, pop-up dinners and networking events come in.
EVENT POSTPONED. Please visit the event website for current information. Cultivation Classic, produced by Willamette Week, is the only competition for craft cannabis produced in Oregon with a regenerative approach, paired with an exceptional public education event curated especially for thought leaders, policymakers, producers, bud tenders and consumers.