What’s good for tourism is good for Portland — and vice versa. Just look at the measures of the value of tourism to the regional economy in 2017:
- The Portland region welcomed 8.6 million overnight person-trips.
- All told, visitors to the Portland metro area generated $5.1 billion in direct spending.
- Easing the tax burden for local and state residents, area travelers generated $255.8 million in tax revenues. Of that total, $133.8 million was local tax revenue.
- The travel industry supports 35,280 jobs in the Portland area, generating $1.33 billion in employment earnings.
Source:. For the purpose of this study, the Portland metropolitan area is defined as the cities of Portland and Gresham, plus Washington, Columbia and metropolitan Clackamas counties. Study area has been changed to align with Travel Oregon’s definition of the Portland region.
State of the Industry
On Feb. 27, 2019, Travel Portland’s executive team shared insights about the city’s historic hotel growth and how our Tourism Master Plan supports thoughtful growth moving forward.
- 2019 Travel Portland State of the Industry (PDF, 1.6 MB)
Visitor Industry Research
Travel Portland has collected the following reports in an attempt to provide an accurate, comprehensive picture of the local visitor industry:
- Economic Impacts of Travel, 2017 report (PDF)
Prepared by Dean Runyan Associates
- Winter Advertising Results (PDF)
Results of the “Portland is Happening Now” winter advertising campaign, November 2015–March 2016
- TravelHorizons Wave I: Consumer Intent to Travel to Portland and Influencer Impact on Travel Inspiration (PDF)
Prepared by MMGY Global, March 2016
- Short Term Advertising Accountability for 2015–16 Winter Campaign (Coming soon!)
- Long Term Advertising Accountability for 2014–15 Winter Campaign (PDF)
Prepared by Longwoods International, December
- Short Term Advertising Accountability for 2014–15 Winter Campaign (PDF)
Prepared by Longwoods International, June 2015
TID hotel results and competitive set January–March 2013, from Smith Travel Research
- Greater Portland: Visitor Profile and Trip Characteristics (PDF)
Regional analysis from 2013 Oregon Visitor Study, prepared by Longwoods International
- International Visits to Greater Portland in 2014 (PDF)
Estimates of visitor volume and spending by country
Prepared by Strategic Advisory Group and the Empowerment Group
- (3.8MB PPTX)
Presented by Community Marketing, Inc.
Provided by Greater Portland Inc.
Provided by the
Learn about the focused program of work that guides Travel Portland’s divisions — Convention Sales and International Tourism, Marketing and Public Relations, and Client and Partner Services — in Travel Portland’s Strategic Plan for 2016–18 (PDF). You can also find statistics, updates and insights that highlight our success in achieving Travel Portland’s key objectives in our most recent Industry Barometer for December 2017 (PDF).
Questions regarding this information should be directed to.