What’s good for tourism is good for Portland — and vice versa. Just look at these measures of the value of tourism to the regional economy in 2015:
- The Portland metro area welcomed 8.9 million overnight person-trips.
- All told, visitors to the Portland metro area generated $4.9 billion in direct spending.
- Easing the tax burden for local and state residents, area travelers generated $223 million in tax revenues. Of that total, $118 million was local tax revenue.
- The travel industry supports 34,900 jobs in the Portland area, generating more than $1 billion in employment earnings.
Source:. For the purpose of this study, the Portland metropolitan area is defined as Clackamas, Multnomah and Washington counties.
State of the Industry
On Feb. 18, 2016, Travel Portland President and CEO Jeff Miller reported on travel trends, lodging projections and campaign results from TID funding, while the executive team shared updates on Travel Portland’s projects, results from the convention sales program of work and more.
- 2016 Travel Portland State of the Industry (PDF, 270 MB)
Visitor Industry Research
Travel Portland has collected the following reports in an attempt to provide an accurate, comprehensive picture of the local visitor industry:
- Economic Impacts of Travel, 2014 (PDF)
Prepared by Dean Runyan Associates
- TravelHorizons Wave I: Consumer Intent to Travel to Portland and Interest in Craft Beer (PDF)
Prepared by MMGY Global, March 2014
- TravelHorizons Wave II: Consumer Intent to Travel to Portland and Craft Beer Event Participation (PDF)
Prepared by MMGY Global, June 2014
- Short Term Advertising Accountability for 2013-14 Winter Campaign (PDF)
Prepared by Longwoods International, July 2014
TID hotel results and competitive set January – March 2013, from Smith Travel Research
- Greater Portland: Visitor Profile and Trip Characteristics (PDF)
Regional analysis from 2013 Oregon Visitor Study, prepared by Longwoods International
- International Visits to Greater Portland in 2014 (PDF)
Estimates of visitor volume and spending by country
Prepared by Strategic Advisory Group and the Empowerment Group
- (3.8MB PPTX)
Presented by Community Marketing, Inc.
Provided by Greater Portland Inc.
Provided by the
Questions regarding this information should be directed to.