Portland Dining Month will collaborate once again with Columbia Distributing to promote local beer pairings with participating restaurants. For the entire month of March, participating Portland Dining Month restaurants will feature an optional beer pairing or will incorporate craft beer as an ingredient in their Portland Dining Month menus. Guests can enjoy the flavors of participating breweries BridgePort Brewing Company, Deschutes Brewery, Hopworks Urban Brewery, Portland Brewing and Rogue Ales to accompany meals during Portland Dining Month. All restaurants participating in this collaboration are designated at PortlandDiningMonth.com.
Columbia Distributing is one of the nation’s largest beer, wine and non-alcoholic beverage distributors. Headquartered in Portland, Oregon, the company has distributed some of the best-known brands in the beverage business since 1935. The company’s success is based on the deep-rooted tradition of delivering quality products, timely service and a genuine concern for customers’ needs. This is achieved by providing ongoing, sustainable opportunities and growth for its employees, customers, suppliers, shareholders and communities. For more information, visit www.coldist.com.
For those who wish to experience Portland Dining Month and Oregon craft beer at home, here is a recipe from Portland Dining Month participant and restaurant Biwa, a popular izakaya offering sake, sashimi, small dishes and grilled food since 2007.
Biwa Ocean Trout Sashimi with Black Butte Porter Shoyu
From the first course on Biwa’s Portland Dining Month 2016 menu.
Featured Beer Pairing
Deschutes Brewing Black Butte Porter
- 4 ounces Ohsawa Nama shoyu
- 48 ounces Deschutes Brewing Black Butte Porter
- 4 ounces thinly sliced sashimi-quality raw ocean trout
- 1 ounce grated fresh horseradish
- 1 dill sprig
- Small pinch of ground Tasmanian wild pepper
- Reduce Black Butte Porter slowly, over low heat to 8 ounces. Let cool and combine with shoyu.
- Marinate slices of ocean trout in 3 tablespoons of Black Butte Porter shoyu for 1 minute.
- Drain the ocean trout and arrange on a pre-chilled plate. Garnish with dill, a pinch of horseradish and a sprinkle of pepper.