Eco-Friendly Portland, Go Green on your Vacation
In This Section
Approaching Portland from the air, you can’t help but notice the abundance of green — trees are everywhere, laced throughout the urban neighborhoods and blanketing the hills and mountains.
But, as you’ve probably heard, Portland isn’t only green on the surface. Residents’ recycling and bike commuting rates are among the highest in the nation, while city planners are committed to preventing sprawl and preserving the working farms and natural wonders that ring the metropolitan area.
For visitors, the benefits of Portland’s passion for all things green take many forms:
- One of the world’s best culinary scenes, bursting with fresh, locally grown ingredients;
- Verdant parks and gardens in the city, and majestic mountains, rivers and wilderness all around;
- Clean, accessible public transport, including a convenient light-rail connection between the airport and downtown;
- Ample trails for hiking and cycling; and
- An eco-conscious hospitality community that offers certified green accommodations, tours and more.