There’s more to nailing Portland’s signature casual-cool look than simply popping on a little plaid. After all, a true local is prepared to cycle to work, dodge raindrops and hoof it to a gallery opening in one versatile ensemble. Luckily, the West End and Nob Hill shopping districts make it easy to snap up some quintessentially Portlandic accessories.
Here’s what to look for. Just remember to leave the kilts, handlebar mustaches and roller-derby socks to, er, advanced Portlanders.
For the ladies:
1) A stylish bag that keeps all of your necessities in one easy spot dominates the gotta-have-it list. Ellington leather bags put a Portland spin on this wardrobe basic with leather sourced from an environmentally friendly tannery.
2) City gals need their feet to look good but still be able to walk for blocks. A pair of Rachel Comey boots from Solestruck meets both criteria.
3) No outfit is complete without the addition of a printed Pendleton (Oregon-based since 1863) Portland Collection cardigan. Find yours at Frances May.
For the fellas:
4) Channel your inner bike messenger with an over-the-shoulder buckle bag from Chrome Industries’ only Northwest storefront.
5) If you’re a gent in Portland, you are carrying your cash in a locally crafted, vegetable-tanned, domestically sourced Tanner Goods leather wallet. ’Nuff said.